Thursday, February 19, 2009

Rediscovering Copenhagen

The past few days in Copenhagen have been quite unusual.  Maybe its the mysterious blanket of snow that seems to be thickening every day, the non-stop flakes falling from the sky, or the mysterious fogginess present every morning. In any case, I have been enjoying the snow, although it is quite the nuisance to be out and around in.  Fortunately, I bought a pair of not-so-attractive, but altogether functional Croc boots before I left the US, which have been saving my life.  

In any case, one of my friends moms was in town this week, and I had the pleasure of showing her around for a couple of days.  It has been absolutely freezing outside, but we trekked to some of my favorite places including Kongens Nytorv (which in my opinion looks its best with some light snowfall around), Nyhavn (the multi-colored houses on EVERY postcard of Copenhagen), Christiansborg (Parliament) and onward.  I got to experience things through her eyes, which was mostly colored with immense excitement and energy.  

One of the reasons that I was so happy to show her around was because I have gotten the distinctive feeling lately that I am extremely comfortable with my life here in Copenhagen.  I have failed to be awed by my surroundings, I don't notice the little things that I used to love, and I have taken for granted the amazing friends I have made here. That is unfortunate.  The charm of being in a new city has long since worn off, and I have, more or less, slipped into a predictable pattern.  I know what I will do every day, I know how I will get there, and if, god forbid, I got into trouble, I feel confident that I could handle the situation.  This sounds ironic, but this is exactly what I was trying to escape by coming to Europe in the first place.  I think that having the opportunity to show my friend's mom around gave me license to be a "tourist" again, taking pictures of the little things, and really appreciating them for what they are, instead of something that I just pass by every day.  

Today, I was at the Copenhagen playhouse, which looks over the canals of Copenhagen over towards the Royal Opera.  There was no wind, and fat snowflakes were falling in slow-motion.  It was at that moment that I looked out and realized just how lucky I am to be here.  The things that I have neglected to notice came to life, like a neglected toy on a child's top shelf that is suddenly rediscovered.  I saw, for the first time in a month, the rippling water of the canal, the incredible architecture all around me, and, looking in the windows of the modern, first story cafe inside the playhouse, my friends who have meant so much to me these past few months. 

The beautiful blanket of snow (or hindrance to train, bus and bike travel, as some might say) will soon go away, but it has made me fall in love with Copenhagen all over again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment